Tuesday, September 28, 2010

phone call

So, on Friday I got a voicemail from Specks teacher. By the time I could call her back he was in the car with me & I decided to wait. On Sunday I got another phone call from her. She was just following up because he failed another test last week and I had to sign it so I took the opportunity to write a little note. That's what all concerned moms do, right? She was/is very friendly, and Iunderstand she doesn't know him, that he is (or was) a straight A student. She doesn't realize this is TOTALLY out of character and I am flipping out. She says he doesn't pay attention in class and has a hard time following directions. Really? Speck? (now, little man...ok, I would buy that) She is very positive and patient, which is a good thing, but I am having a hard time. He is finallly getting past the bad days, where friends are concerned, but I refuse to let it be at the expense of school work. I think the counselor thinks I am a nut case, since I have called him several times too, and it is quite possible at this point! I just can't sit back and wait to see what happens. What would any of you do?!

1 comment:

  1. Boy, this is a hard one. I wish I had a magic fix . . .but here goes the best I got.

    The "friend thing" is tough. It for sure stinks really bad for him, and I would comfort him as many days as he needs. Encourage him that God has given him a great opportunity to "Be a Friend" instead of "Needing a Friend".

    Although, my gift of mercy would stop with the grades (and not paying attention, which I would ask teacher for details, please).

    I would give him the "Any amount of Circumstance doesn't/can't effect our Performance Speech".

    Demand excellence {good grades}, because he has already proven how smart he is in the past.

    Last but not least, tell him, "Ethan, you know how Mom & Dad work and have jobs, school is your job. In the Bible it tells us to work with all our heart for the Lord, and that means school too."

    Have him tuck this verse away in his heart. Write it in his binder, and put it his lunch box notes until you see improvement. . .

    Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.
    Colossians 3:23-24

    Hope this helps. Keep praying. . .I will too.
    I Love you & Ethan very much.
    Your Friend,
    Tonia

    ReplyDelete