This all got started on a Monday. She had been very fussy and not sleeping so we went to the family practice clinic. No fever, but with a history of ear infections I thought we should just get it checked out. Nothing. By Friday she had 100, Sat 101 and Sun 103. So we went to the pediatrician who diagnosed strep throat for both her and her brother. Started antibiotics. By Wed. brother was fine but she wasn't getting better. Thursday was even worse but of course it was after hours and I really didn't want to go to the ER unless we had to, so I sat up and stared at her all night :) We were at the pediatrician's office early Friday morning. I knew she was sick, but when they drew lab and did a chest xray and she just laid there, I got scared. It was worse than I thought. Dr. came in with results, mild pneumonia. He said, lets admit to the hospital for the weekend to get fluids and IV meds & you'll be home by Sun. I wasn't thrilled, but thought I could handle it. After all the Great White Hunter was where else, but hunting! And he was with clients who had flown in from out of state and they were all in one vehicle, about 3.5 hours from home. The fevers kept up at a steady 102-103. By Sat I was beginning to fall apart. So I called the MIL and she went to pick up hubby and bring him home. (which I think she secretly loved that I had to call her) Sun. her temp hit 105 and a repeat chest xray was clear. Her pediatrician had ordered numerous lab tests all of which had come back normal. This was not good. My nurse brain was working way overtime and my sleep deprived mom brain was making it even worse. Doc called ACH for a consult and they didn't have any more insight. So off we went. At that point I had a complete, total melt down. At least we were lucky enough to get to take her ourselves instead of going by ambulance.
ACH was great, so thankful for them. It breaks my heart to think of all the sick kids who are still there. Please pray for them and their families. It made me realize even more how very blessed we are to have a perfect little girl, who will be just fine.

No comments:
Post a Comment