Tuesday, July 12, 2011

WOW (lengthy and rambling post ahead)

Papa got his results back about 1:30 this afternoon. You could not have asked for better! Praise the Lord. Now the problem is my grandmother is so mad at me she can't see straight. As in I may be disowned!! I have heard my entire life that she has a temper. Both of them actually. But I have never ever seen it out of either of them, until today. When the oncologist called I answered the phone and she picked up another one so we could both hear the conversation. The PET scan shows the cancer to be only in his left lower lobe. It is not in any other organs. The lymph nodes in his sternum were reactive but they don't know if it is just because of the cancer or if it has actually spread into them. That can only be determined by another biopsy. The next step is to see the surgeon who will determine if he is a canidate. If he says yes then the cardiologist has to agree. If either says no then they will discuss radiation. Now, all of that went well with the exception she kept interrupting the dr to ask questions that really didn't pertain to the discussion and explain things that other drs had said/done in the past that again didn't really have anything to do with that moment. But the dr was very patient with her and listened and answered everything he could. After we hung up she didn't even tell my grandpa about the oncology results. She started in on his kidneys. (He only has one and it functions at 15%) His urologist took him off of fresh fruits to help control his potassium level. The oncologist put him on something (I don't know what because she tore the label off) and all she got out of the whole conversation was that the medicine was going to lower his levels and "fix" his kidney. You have to know my grandmother and how she thinks. On his next visit, when his kidney isn't "fixed" she would be livid with the dr because he "told her it would be better". So I made the fatal mistake and tried to explain it to her. I said "Nanny, what did he say" she didn't answer, just looked at me like how dare you question me! She said "he said the medicine would lower his potassium level and I KNOW that will fix his kidney". The first half was absolutely right. The second part started world war 3. I tried for about 5 minutes to explain it to her in terms she would understand. She got up out of her chair and in my face. No kidding, 4 inches in my face, and started screaming. Not a raised voice or even yelling. SCREAMING at me. I realize she is under stress but O. MY. WORD. I have never witnessed anything like it. She was shaking so hard it looked like she was having a seizure. I just knew she was going to have a stroke. I asked why she was yelling at me and she said "you yelled at me first". Needless to say it got to the point that Speck asked to leave and sis was almost in tears. My grandpa just hugged me and said thanks for coming and told me to ignore her and not let it upset me. I hugged him and explained it all to him, gave him a kiss then kissed her and told her I was sorry I upset her but to call me if she needs anything. It does bother me. I hate for her to be upset or mad at me. I would love to call her or go back out ther but all it will do is add fuel to the fire. This stinks. We should be celebrating the good news instead of finding things to bring it down. Mom has said for a long time how out of touch with reality she gets sometimes. I guess I didn't see it until today. This is not the grandmother I know and it breaks my heart. I'm more worried for her at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment