Nobody gets a "how to" manual with kids. There are lots and lots and lots of things parents have to learn as they go. This is a topic I am just not ready to deal with yet. But, nobody asked my opinion, so too bad for me I guess. My oldest is 11. He is a sweet, caring, friendly (but shy) kid. He doesn't like for anyone to be upset, especially with him. He will do almost anything to keep everyone happy. Unless of course it involves his brother! My issue with all this sweetness is that he is also kind of a follower. He's not quite vocal enough to always stand up for himself. I know he knows the difference between right and wrong, but when something is kind of in the "gray" area, I worry. He hasn't ever asked to get Facebook. And thats good because I would say no. He did ask last week about Instagram. So I let him. Last night he was showing me his pics of the dogs and his sister and his whole whopping 4 followers. That was all fine, except for one of the followers and her comments. I did a little research and apparently my first impression isn't too far off. She is entirely too aggressive for my taste. There are a couple of inappropriate pictures (nothing too major) but all the same, pictures that I don't think should be on a 6th graders Instagram page. The comments that go with them are even worse. And they appear to be from older boys. One more reason I wasn't thrilled. I know this is part of growing up. And that I can't protect him from everything. All I can do is keep talking to him, and most of all keep listening to him. I just wasn't ready to do it yet.
No comments:
Post a Comment