Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Its been a L.O.N.G. day, but...

its ok. It could be worse. and it will get better. right?! I got woke up by a 6 am phone call, and it scared me. My phone doesn't ring that early. It was dad. Papa had a bad night and someone needed to be at the hospital with him. So, mom went first and as soon as I got the kiddos taken care of I headed that way. He was not looking great, but I had seen him a little more rough around the edges before. My grandmother on the other hand, hmmm...where to start? She was in one of her "moods". The kind where she is argumentative, irrational, angry, confused, and almost uncontrollable. Not that other people don't believe me, but I am the target and usually the only one to witness these episodes. I guess she knows my dad won't listen and she won't do it to my mom so...lucky me :) Thats ok though, I know she is stressed and just kind of lost right now. Anyway, she started SCREAMING at me. In my face, yelling, head bobbing, finger shaking, I thought she was going to have a stroke. I'm not even sure what she was yelling at me for. When I finally got her to sit back down I put my hand on her knee and told her I loved her and walked out for a while. By the time I came back she was better. We made small talk for a while and I made sure to avoid any "trigger" topics. Dad came back on his lunch break and we were waiting to see the case manager. My grandma got up to go to the bathroom and all of a sudden she hollered my name. I ran in there and she was fading fast. I grabbed a hold of her and had my dad call the nurse. By the time they got in there she was completely out. I seriously thought she was dead. (the last patient I took care of on that floor died in my arms one night when he got up to go to the bathroom and it was like a BAD, BAD flashback) They got a stretcher up there and ran her to the ER (literally) We spent 6 hours waiting on test results. Her blood pressure was nuts, 197/26, 210/90, etc...they thought she had a blood clot in her lungs. Thankfully, the CT scan was negative. Unfortunately, they sent her home. Not that I want her in the hospital, but she really needs supervision right now. So, mom is staying the night with her. Papa was resting comfortably when we left. They have stopped his treatment. His WBC is hovering right around 500, even with meds to increase it & the Dr. thinks he may have C Diff now. It was a long day, and I have a feeling we are just getting started. But, it could be worse and it will get better. Thanks SO much to TH, who had too many kids to fit in her car but wouldn't tell me and tried to hide them so I wouldn't worry about it ! And to everybody who checked on us & offered to help. I REALLY appreciate it. Be careful when you answer your phones, I may be calling to ask a favor;)

No comments:

Post a Comment